Anatomy of a Grocery Trip: Fubonn
I broke in my shiny new camera this past weekend on an epic adventure with Ms. Strawberryrock (more to come, obvs) and a dedication to Asian noodle dishes after a trip to Fubonn for groceries. The dish above is a test recipe for Isa Chandra Moskowit’z current project, a low-fat cookbook. I can’t say much, but there’s a lot of satisfying ginger and bok choy action going on.
I picked up:
- buckwheat soba
- rice vermicelli – I’m obsessed with the idea of making Tofu Buns at home.
- agar powder
- frozen gluten – I think I’ve finally found the type that the late Nhut Quang used in their addictive BBQ Roasted Gluten I miss so.
- fresh ginger – so inexpensive here!
- fresh udon noodles – for a quick recipe in The Kind Diet I’ve been eyeing.
- vegetarian fish sauce – to complete my collection of vegetarian mushroom oyster sauce and vegetarian hoisin sauce.
- lychee drink – to have on hand for lychee martini desires, clearly.
- gyoza wrappers – for Thanksgiving!
- tapioca starch – restocked
- frozen bean curd sheets – for excitement! for stir fries! for soup!
veggies. Having quick access to stellar local produce, I couldn’t bring myself to buy the veggies I wanted for a recipe yesterday, wrapped in plastic, unnecessarily on Styrofoam or just having seen better days, so I skipped. I hit up New Seasons on my way home.
sweet! It’s been a couple months since I searched the frozen faux meat aisle of Fubonn, and I excitedly noticed a new addition: frozen lemongrass gluten sticks! on sugar canes! as seen at Asaase Ital (jerk seasoned), Van Hanh and numerous vegetarian restaurants in NYC, among other places. I passed trying to be economically wise, but I will not resist on a future visit.
Thanks for the reading the new site!
Is anyone else having issues viewing it on google reader? The top links should work, I need to remove the way bottom one (it’s part of the layout, um, bear with me).
This should be the link for Google Reader.